Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Week of Firsts

I am proud and not so proud of some firsts for me this week. I'll start with the good. I was able to bare my testimony in church today, which is a first for me in over 12 years. I have a huge fear of public speaking and there was no way I would be able to get up and do this back home in front of 300 people. Since our branch here is so tiny, I thought this is my chance. I was surprised at how emotional I was (mostly from nerves) but I am so glad I did it! I know it will only get easier from here on out.

I have been in a hate/hate relationship with my hair ever since I moved. Now, in a perfect environment I can do pretty much anything and my hair would cooperate and look as I had hoped. However, I no longer live in a perfect environment. My hair hates humidity! Of course, we are in the worst place for this. I tried for the first time this week to blow dry my hair straight and I failed miserably, like I knew I would, and I ended up with a frizzy mess. The heat from the blow dryer just made me start sweating to where I couldn't ever get the underneath or the parts around my face straight. So after the failed attempt, I was on the look out for an easy do that did not involve a blow dryer. I found this cool tutorial on "soft beach waves" on Pinterest and I tried it out last night and I really like the way it turned out.

I had my first melt down this week. It was inevitable that it was going to happen. I have been missing home like crazy and the smallest things were making me tear up. I would read a friends status update on Facebook about going to Target in Kyle and I would tear up. I would think about what people would be doing in Austin or Utah for the 4th of July and I would tear up. So on Thursday I just couldn't hold it all in anymore and I bawled like a baby to Clarke. Of course, he was so supportive and listened to everything I was crying about. I knew that this was going to be hard, but you just never know until you actually experience it. I am trying to stay positive and remind myself that any new place takes time to adjust to.

I am excited for this upcoming week because we will have our first visitor, my sister Nicole, come out and stay the weekend. We are also going to have a fun BBQ on the beach with our Branch for the 4th of July. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for the good firsts! And I'm impressed that you haven't had a break down before this, because I for sure would have by now. Multiple break downs, probably! I hope you have a fabulous time with your sister. Have a great 4th with the new friends in your branch!

    ReplyDelete